During the various stages of production I had kept in contact with my client who had commissioned the painting. I was able to send him photographs so that he could see how the painting developed.
Even at this final stage I had to make adjustments regarding the colours of several areas at his request. Never having seen the room and having to work from a photograph made it difficult to catch the setting in the right atmosphere.
Comparing step 6 and step 7 on the left you will notice the difference. First of all I had to complete the unfinished areas.
Then it was time to introduce the adjustments my client had asked me to work on.
In order to give the family portraits an antiquated look I went over them with a fine layer of black mixed with blue and white to create a pale grey. Then I had to brighten up the parquet flooring by lifting off some of the paint by wetting the area and dabbing it with dry tissue. Next I applied a layer of lemon yellow to brighten it up further.
The carpet had to be darkened by going over it with a stronger mix of the previously applied colours. The adjoining room at the back had to see a change of colour which was not easy as watercolour does not really lend itself to overpainting. However I managed to follow the client´s suggestion to give it a hint of green by adding a thin layer of sap green.
The upholstery of the chairs also had to be darkened by adding watered down raw umber using a no.1 brush going down each stripe of the pattern individually.
When you compare steps 6 and 7 you will notice that other areas have also been reworked like the sofa and the shadows around the windows.
I am now happy with the result hoping that my customer will also be satisfied.